What would happen if a vanilla cake and strawberry crumble had a baby? Their offspring would be this delicious treat! Strawberry crumble cake 😋.
The idea for this recipe came from my love of both desserts and my inability to decide whether to make a cake or crumble after dinner.
The recipe for this is super easy and, if you’re a frozen fruit hoarder like me, will help to use up frozen strawberries (although you can use fresh strawberries if you prefer).
For the strawberry cake:
8-10 frozen strawberries
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 capfuls of vanilla extract
2-3 tablespoons milk
For the crumble topping:
2-3 tablespoons of butter
50 g sugar
1 capful vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180c/ gas Mark 4 and grease a round baking tin
- Make the crumble topping first. Put the flour and sugar into a bowl. Add the butter and vanilla then crumble the ingredients together with your fingers until it resembles medium sized crumbs. Place the bowl of crumbs in the fridge until you are ready to use them.
- Next, cream the butter and sugar until smooth, then add the beaten egg and mix into the butter mixture until fluffy
- Seive the flour into the bowl, then add vanilla and the milk.
- Mix the ingredients together until all are combined and the batter looks smooth. You will notice that it will have a thick consistency. Add more milk if it is too thick and difficult to mix.
- Spoon the cake batter evenly into the cake tin and place the strawberries around the perimeter and a few in the centre of the batter. Push them down until they touch the base of the tin.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the cake then put in the oven to bake for 35-45 minutes.
- Leave the cake to cool for 20 minutes before serving then enjoy with ice cream,double cream or simply a nice cup of tea!