To my macaroni buddy…if you’re reading this Leah, this recipe goes out to you!
Our day at work would turn into the best one ever if we knew we were having a microwaveable macaroni cheese for lunch. Our excitement was uncontainable. That creamy pasta-ry goodness would simply dispel our troubles in an instant.
However, nothing CAN EVERRR come close to a homemade macaroni cheese. If you are ever having a bad day, this will cheer you right up for sure (if only for a few minutes 😄!)
Also if you are ever struggling to decide what to eat, macaroni will come to the rescue if you have these few simple ingredients.
50g plain flour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of white pepper
250g of grated mature cheddar to add to the roux and a little extra for the topping
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/ gas Mark 6
2.Boil the macaroni in a pan of salted water for 10-12 minutes and then drain.
3. In a separate pan, melt the butter. When melted add the flour and stir continuously until they have combined and a thick paste is formed.
4.Slowly add the milk whilst continuing to stir to create a smooth and creamy roux.
5. Add the cheese to the roux and continue to stir until all has melted.
6. Spoon some of the macaroni into an ovenproof dish and cover with some of the cheese sauce (roux). Add another layer of macaroni and the more roux. Finish by grating some extra cheese on top.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the topping becomes golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Enjoy!