Pineapple upside-down cake is probably one of my favourite fruit cakes. I make it retro but with a twist!
I like to add a cheeky dash of white rum into mix just to jazz up the flavours a little. The recipe is so easy and the end product is super moist and tasty; it will certainly go down well after dinner!
100g self raising flour
100g golden caster sugar
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
2 large eggs
6 pineapple rings
2 teaspoons of pineapple juice from the tinned pineapples
2 teaspoons of white rum
1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/180c and butter a cake tin. Sprinkle sugar on the base, then add the pineapple rings.
2. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth and then mix in the pineapple juice and rum.
3. Beat the eggs in another bowl and add the vanilla then add to the butter mixture.
4. Add the flour and baking powder and whisk the ingredients together.
5. Spread the mixture over the pineapples and put in the oven to bake for 30minutes until golden brown.
6. Leave to cool for 10minutes before flipping the cake over to reveal the juicy pineapple topping!