To my macaroni buddy…if you’re reading this Leah, this recipe goes out to you!
Our day at work would turn into the best one ever if we knew we were having a microwaveable macaroni cheese for lunch. Our excitement was uncontainable. That creamy pasta-ry goodness would simply dispel our troubles in an instant.
However, nothing CAN EVERRR come close to a homemade macaroni cheese. If you are ever having a bad day, this will cheer you right up for sure (if only for a few minutes 😄!)
Also if you are ever struggling to decide what to eat, macaroni will come to the rescue if you have these few simple ingredients.
50g plain flour
A pinch of salt
A pinch of white pepper
250g of grated mature cheddar to add to the roux and a little extra for the topping
1. Preheat the oven to 200c/ gas Mark 6
2.Boil the macaroni in a pan of salted water for 10-12 minutes and then drain.
3. In a separate pan, melt the butter. When melted add the flour and stir continuously until they have combined and a thick paste is formed.
4.Slowly add the milk whilst continuing to stir to create a smooth and creamy roux.
5. Add the cheese to the roux and continue to stir until all has melted.
6. Spoon some of the macaroni into an ovenproof dish and cover with some of the cheese sauce (roux). Add another layer of macaroni and the more roux. Finish by grating some extra cheese on top.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the topping becomes golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Enjoy!
Forget Greggs’ chicken or steak bake; making your own is the way to go and it’s super easy!
This recipe is ideal if you have leftover chicken from a Sunday roast,that you don’t want to waste, but have no idea how to transform it into another tasty meal without the chicken drying up from reheating it.
At my new favourite supermarket (Lidl 😊) I found puff pastry for a price I just could not refuse. It was only 89p! And it was an absolute dream to use; when baked the pastry was light and flaky withy a buttery taste.
Anyway, that (and my roast chicken leftovers) gave me the idea for this quick and easy lunchtime meal. It really is comforting and delicious! Feel free to experiment with other meats as a filling too!
To make one chicken bake:
A 10x30cm rectangle of ready rolled puff pastry
2-3 tablespoons of shredded or finely chopped roast chicken
1 tablespoon gravy granules
1/2 teaspoon of thyme
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200.c
- Put the pastry on the baking tray then place the chicken on one half of it, leaving a centimetre of space around the perimeter
- In a small bowl, make the gravy adding thyme to the mixture as you stir. Ensure that the gravy consistency is slightly thick but is able to run off the spoon
- Spoon the gravy mixture over the chicken and a little around the perimeter of the pastry to help seal it
- Take the empty half of the pastry and fold it over the chicken filling so that it meets the other pastry edge
- Use a fork to press and seal all edges of the pastry and then poke three holes in the top of the pastry package
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the pastry becomes golden brown.
- Enjoy your delicious lunch!